A placebo faith

10:03 PM


I know I've been writing a lot lately. Just super inspirationally charged for some reason.
But I will start working in two weeks, so might not have much free time to write then.

Anyboo.

So brotha Jim asked me today to pray for his internship interview tmr. I said yes ofc, but had to leave for the pool, so opted for this quick prayer, ish, in my head.

"God I pray for Jim's interview tmr." 끝

Just to lessen any cognitive dissonance. In other words, I didn't want to feel like a hypocrite. You know how sometimes you accept to help someone but end up not doing it because you had no intentions to help them in the first place. Why? Because you were saying yes initially just to please. And you really hate to feel like a bad person, because bad people say no all the time right? Anywayz, God defz heard my prayer aight, but I feel like I am missing the point again...sigh

So after my swim, I decided to take another shot at this prayer thing in the shower. Got nothing to do in there anyway. Thought of a bunch of stuff in my head, but there was some hesitation. I mean sometimes you don't always know what to pray about. And you certainly don't want to recite a bunch of useless crap either. So I tried to picture God in my head, as if I was talking to Him in person.
& I went,

"Help Jim tmr please."
...
"I hope he gets it?"
"Yeah just make sure he gets it okay God?"

And then I started saying something that kinda contradicted my previous statement.

"But in case he doesn't get it, make sure he doesn't feel rejected okay?"

Right there, I felt convicted of one thing: that I have no faith. I should have just claimed the internship with boldness, but instead, I doubted. I mean why else would I pray against possible rejection. I am getting way ahead of myself. It's not like I can foresee the outcome. Tmr can worry about itself right? So in the meantime, I should have had a bit more faith. Honestly, it is really hard to believe God's providence sometimes, even though I have witnessed it in my life previously. I guess once a doubter, always a doubter?

Anyway just some insight on prayer that I want to share with you guys.

Wbu? Do you believe in coincidence or providence?

And just want to clarify something to my non-Christian friends. Even though I ask God for favors, it doesn't mean that I don't put up any work or efforts whatsoever. How it works, I think, is that we do our share and we let God do his share, which usually comprises of things we can't control, like the future, nature, death, or any kind of impossible situations.

#askandyoushallreceive

Photography by Pietro Faccioli.

You Might Also Like

Views

Translate